At Horizon Japan International School, we believe in the importance of the school uniform as a means of encouraging students to feel a sense of pride and purpose. School uniform contributes to the ethos of the school, and it is the responsibility of all students to ensure that students are correctly dressed and look smart and formal at all times. Also, uniforms are an excellent way to unite our students, while bringing ease to deciding what to wear to school in the morning. HJIS students are expected to participate in the school’s uniform policy daily.
Uniform dress is expected to be worn by all students each day from Monday – Friday. All uniforms must be neat and clean. Students should practice good hygiene and take pride in their appearance.
BENEFITS OF UNIFORMS
- Students spend less time trying to decide what to wear in the morning which improves attendance.
- Self-discipline to wear the uniform properly and respectfully.
- Always modest and appropriate for the school environment.
- Less peer pressure on how to look.
- Guests or intruders are easily identifiable.
- Economic or social barriers between students are not evident.
- Increases a sense of belonging and school pride.
- While traveling off-campus for field trips or events, others know what school the group of students represents.
There are exceptions to HJIS’ Uniform Policy only for special events or occasions. For example, students are required to wear their PE uniform for all field trips unless otherwise advised. Likewise, for school events, like Spirit Week and International Day, we encourage students to wear themed or cultural-based outfits. On these days, student must still abide by the additional dress code restrictions.